The pain people feel when a gout attack happens is excruciating and this is all because their joints become inflamed. The culprit here is the uric acid crystals that have accumulated in the joints. The most common part that is affected is the big toe but it is also possible to get other joints in the body inflamed because of gout. Usually, the gout attack can last for several days or even months if not treated or if you continue to consume foods that cause it. Gout is greatly affected by what you eat so if you experience it then you better watch what you are eating carefully. There are some foods to avoid with gout support and you should follow them. If you still don’t have your list, then continue reading and take note of these foods.
1. Seafood – Seafood like scallops are yummy but they can also be the cause of your pain. Most seafood contains purines in high levels and this is the substance that is broken down by the body into uric acid. If you are having a gout attack make sure you stay away from seafood because you are just going to make your condition worse. Although you can have them occasionally, make sure that you eat them minimally. Also remember that there are seafood that you can eat sparingly but there are also those that you should completely avoid such as tuna, herring and anchovies. Don’t worry, you can still eat some crab, shrimp or lobster but don’t over indulge.
2. Alcohol – Beer is something that you should completely avoid when you have gout. It increases the level of uric acid in your body and it also interferes with the removal of it in your body. If you really want to drink an alcoholic beverage, you can just stick to wine but don’t drink too much of it too and never drink any alcohol when you are having a gout attack.
3. Red Meat – If you have a choice in what kind of meat to eat, you better opt for the white meat than the red meat when you have gout. You better leave the red meats for special occasions or as indulgence to make sure you lessen the risk of having a gout attack.
4. Turkey – Although turkey is considered to be white meat, it is the one in the group that contains the most purines. If you can, choose the chicken or the duck over the turkey. It is also advised that you choose the leg meat over the breast with the skin.
5. Drinks High In Sugar – Drinks that contain much sugar or those that are sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup are to be completely avoided. These are usually found in sodas but you should also take a closer look at your fruit juices because some also have this as a sweetener. Sweets will just make you gain weight and produce more of the uric acid that accumulates in your joints.